Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Surname Saturday - Samuel Landes

Samuel Landes is a third great grandfather through my paternal line. Samuel was born in 1822 to Samuel Landes (1788-1849) and Elizabeth Sheets in Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia. As with some of my other lines, spelling has become an issue with the Landes name. I have seen it as Landes, Landis, Landess and Landiss. I've also realized that I do not have a lot of information on this line. I love that this writing prompt is helping to highlight research gaps!

Samuel was the fourth of 8 known children with Elizabeth Sheets. Samuel Sr. and his life are a little difficult to track. Samuel Sr. died in December 1849 as indicated on the 1850 census mortality schedule. I can find no trace of Elizabeth's death, however, I found an online history that states Elizabeth Sheets Landes died in 1828 following the birth of twins, more than likely from complications from the birth. I have no official record of this, but Samuel does appear to remarry an Elizabeth Welch and has additional children.
The Landes family were farmers in Augusta County. I have not found a record of the senior Samuel Landes' will, but in the 1850 census, his second wife is living on the farm with her children. The older children appeared to have moved on.

Samuel Landes, Jr., married Eliza Jane Royer sometime prior to 1848. Sadly, Eliza died in 1850 from pneumonia. Samuel then remarried Elizabeth Beard. I have not been able to find a marriage record, but it was sometime prior to 1853 when their first child together was born.
So you read all of that correctly. Samuel married Elizabeth and then Elizabeth. Then his son, Samuel, marries Eliza and then Elizabeth. Needless to say, it's easy to get the group confused!

Samuel Jr. could have been the right age to have served in the Civil War. There are records of a Samuel Landes enlisting in 1862, but I cannot confirm that it is the correct Samuel. However, Samuel came from Mennonite roots and more than likely would not have fought in the war.

Samuel Jr. is listed as both a miller and a farmer in  Augusta County, Virginia. At some point between 1870 and 1880, the family moves to Johnson County, Missouri. It is unclear why the family leaves Virginia, but he continues farming in Missouri.

Samuel dies in Kingsville, Johnson County, Missouri in 1897 and his wife, Elizabeth, dies just three years later. They are both buried in the Kingville Cemetery.

To do list:
1. Find an obituary for Samuel

This post is part of my on-going goal of 2013 to research each of my 32 3rd great-grandparents more in-depth. Samuel is #11 on my list.

No comments: